Interested in becoming a Shop Steward?
Stewards are worker advocates. They defend members rights in the workplace and are the people who members go to when they have a problem.
Stewards play a key role in the union ability to negotiate collective agreements, solve members’ problems, fight harassment and defend public services depends on a strong steward network.
All members in good standing (including temporary workers) are eligible to be shop stewards. If you are interested in becoming a shop steward please contact any member of the Local executive.
Ten reasons to be a steward
- It gives you the tools you need to help your co-workers and yourself.
- It allows you to build a healthier and more democratic workplace.
- It gives you the ability to protect and defend your rights in the workplace.
- It is healthier than complaining.
- It is a good way to learn more and gain confidence.
- It can be a lot of fun.
- It is one of the best ways of staying informed.
- It is an opportunity to build new skills and practice old ones.
- It is an opportunity to work with others on a whole range of work–related issues – pensions, child care, international trade, etc.
- It is an opportunity to make a difference.