What to do if you receive a 24 – Hour Notice of Interview
1. Speak to a Shop Steward as soon as possible
The names of our shops stewards are posted on the CUPW bulletin board. If you can not find the list or you’re unsure of who the shop stewards are on your work floor, ask one of your co-workers, call the Local Union office at 204-942-6323 or Click here to view the list of shop stewards
2. Request your personal file from your supervisor.
To do this write ” I am requesting to view my complete personal file” on a piece of paper and give it to your supervisor.
Interested in becoming a Shop Steward?
Stewards are worker advocates. They defend members rights in the workplace and are the people who members go to when they have a problem.
Stewards play a key role in the union ability to negotiate collective agreements, solve members’ problems, fight harassment and defend public services depends on a strong steward network.
All members in good standing (including temporary workers) are eligible to be shop stewards. If you are interested in becoming a shop steward please contact any member of the Local executive.
Ten reasons to be a steward
- It gives you the tools you need to help your co-workers and yourself.
- It allows you to build a healthier and more democratic workplace.
- It gives you the ability to protect and defend your rights in the workplace.
- It is healthier than complaining.
- It is a good way to learn more and gain confidence.
- It can be a lot of fun.
- It is one of the best ways of staying informed.
- It is an opportunity to build new skills and practice old ones.
- It is an opportunity to work with others on a whole range of work–related issues – pensions, child care, international trade, etc.
- It is an opportunity to make a difference.